Matthew Backhouse is a NZME. News Service journalist based in Auckland.

Fire strikes twice in Wellington office building

Firefighters at the scene of the office fire in Wellington. Photo / APNZ
Firefighters at the scene of the office fire in Wellington. Photo / APNZ

A fire which forced the evacuation of a central Wellington office building this morning is believed to have started in the same laundry room as another fire earlier this year.

Firefighters were called to the nine-storey Prime Property House on Woodward St, off Lambton Quay, after the fire broke out shortly after 8am.

Fire Service senior station officer Brett Lockyer said the fire was confined to a single room on the fourth floor.

It was believed to be have broken out in the same room as a fire in February this year.

The earlier fire, in the laundry room of a day spa, was thought to have been sparked by oily towels in a drier.

It was not yet known what caused today's fire.

Mr Lockyer said smoke from the fourth floor had set off an alarm on the seventh floor this morning.

"Crews gained entry, and we started from level seven and worked our our way down. We found a fire in a room on level four."

Firefighters extinguished the fire using a hose attached to the building's internal dry riser system.

People were allowed back into the building later this morning.

Crews from 11 fire trucks, including a command unit, attended the fire.

The trucks were parked along Lambton Quay but there were no disruptions to morning commuter traffic.

- APNZ

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2016, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf05 at 27 Sep 2016 16:18:53 Processing Time: 499ms