Anna Leask is senior police reporter for the New Zealand Herald.

Streaker's NZ arrest warrants revealed

Wati Holmwood tears off down the field naked during the State of Origin game on Wednesday night. Photo / Getty
Wati Holmwood tears off down the field naked during the State of Origin game on Wednesday night. Photo / Getty

The Kiwi serial streaker who "stuffed up Origin" when he ran almost the length of the field during the game may be arrested if he returns to New Zealand.

A naked, oiled and fake-tanned Wati Holmwood managed to outrun security guards for 90m at ANZ Stadium on Wednesday night during the State of Origin match between Queensland and New South Wales.

The 33-year-old was stopped only when he tripped just short of the tryline, a move that cost Queensland an attempt at a try two minutes from fulltime.

Mr Holmwood was born and raised in Nelson, where he has a large family. In April 2008 warrants were issued for his arrest in the Nelson District Court relating to shoplifting, resisting police and breaching bail.

He moved to Australia in 2008 with his partner and their children.

Mr Holmwood last night tried to justify his actions at the Origin game.

"The whole game was a bit boring from the start, I wanted to spice things up," he told RadioLive.

" ... so I thought 'you know what? I'll go on the field and perform my self'."

He was now appealing to viewers to help him pay the fines in return for the entertainment he provided.

"[It was] a bit of entertainment for the people, for the Australian people, the New Zealand people, for the people around the world, for the people of England. Hopefully I can collect some money back from the people to help me pay these fines. I'm currently in $11,000 debt for the fines of streaking."

Mr Holmwood said he was not sorry for his actions and was planning a repeat performance at the 2014 Football World Cup in Brazil.

However, as he left the game, he told Sydney's Daily Telegraph: "I'm sorry, I apologise about what happened, am I in trouble now?

"It all happened so quickly, I don't know what was going through my head. I just wanted to make it interesting but I stuffed up Origin. A lot of people hate me now."

In 2011 he was banned from entering Sydney Football Stadium after he jumped the fence during an NRL match between the Wests Tigers and the New Zealand Warriors.

He will appear in court on August 6, charged with wilful and obscene exposure and entering or remaining on a playing field without authorisation.

Mr Holmwood's Kiwi relatives weren't surprised by his behaviour.

"I can see him doing that, he's always been a bit of a prankster," said distant cousin Lyla Holmwood. "I think he's lost a lot of weight actually. He's always been a big man, and he's still big, but he's lost weight. He's a hard case, that's all. But he's a good man."

NSW police said Mr Holmwood would be issued with a banning notice prohibiting him from ANZ Stadium.

Queensland coach Mal Meninga said Mr Holmwood's streak was "disruptive".

"It cost us a try ... It's silly, it's ridiculous that it does happen in modern sport."

- NZ Herald

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter


© Copyright 2016, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf02 at 31 Aug 2016 00:15:22 Processing Time: 583ms