As winter sets in Kiwis are being urged to take care - with their gumboots.
Last winter about 160 gumboot-related ACC claims were received for injuries caused by while people were putting on, taking off, cleaning, throwing, walking, running and jumping in gumboots.
"Every imaginable body part bore the brunt of these accidents, with bent fingers, pulled hamstrings and strained groins, shoulders and backs all common by-products of the gumboot donning and removal process," said ACC general manager of insurance and prevention services John Beaglehole.
Shoulders were the body part most likely to be injured during the Kiwi pastime of gumboot tossing, and many people were bitten by spiders, said Mr Beaglehole, who recommended shaking boots before putting them on.
There were also grazes and blisters caused by ill-fitting gumboots and others were injured from tripping on gumboots lying around.
To avoid injuries, Mr Beaglehole advised people to take care putting on and taking off gumboots, wear something more sturdy if chopping firewood or using a chainsaw, take care on slippery ground, shake boots before putting them on and choose the right size.