Jesse Ryder attack: Accused felt he had to 'name and shame' men

Jordan Mason. Photo / Geoff Sloan
Jordan Mason. Photo / Geoff Sloan

The man accused of breaching a suppression order by posting a video online of Jesse Ryder's two alleged attackers says he felt he had to "name and shame" the two men.

The pair, aged 20 and 37, appeared in court earlier this month charged with assaulting the star cricket outside a Christchurch bar last month.

A judge granted a suppression order which protected their identities in a bid to secure them a fair trial.

But as they walked out of Christchurch District Court on April 4, 28-year-old Jordan Mason allegedly filmed them on his mobile phone.

He is accused of then posting the footage on social media sites in what he said today was an attempt to "name and shame" the pair.

Police said that by posting the video, he knowingly breached the suppression order.

He was interviewed by police last Friday after he handed himself in.

If found guilty he could be jailed for up to six months.

The videos have since been taken down.

After he was charged, Detective Sergeant Ash Millen said he hoped it would serve as a deterrent to any other people who may have downloaded, accessed or distributed the video in question, or are considering doing so.

Mason received a registrar's remand at the District Court sitting at the Nga Hau e Wha marae in Aranui today.

It meant he didn't have to go before a judge today, but will do when his case is next called on April 29.

He jumped a fence after court today to avoid speaking to the media, but a friend said he'd be available for interviews at a nearby property.

When reporters arrived, he accused several media outlets of hounding him and of breaching suppressions by naming him.

"Why attack me? I wasn't the one who attacked Jesse Ryder," he said.

Asked why he posted the video online, he struggled to answer but accepted he wanted the public to know who was accused of bashing the high-profile sportsman.

Mason claimed he "wanted to be charged" and appeared unfazed by the prospect of what sentence he could receive if found guilty of the charge of breaching a suppression order.

He said he wouldn't be seeking name suppression himself, before becoming agitated when press photographers started taking his picture, even attempting to grab the camera of one photographer before storming off.

Ryder, 28, was punched and kicked outside Aikmans bar in Merivale, Christchurch, after a season's end night out with his Wellington Firebirds teammates.

He suffered head and lung injuries and after spending two days in an induced coma at Christchurch Hospital is now recuperating at his Wellington home.

Ryder's two alleged attackers are back in court on Thursday.

- APNZ

© Copyright 2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on red akl_n3 at 28 Aug 2014 21:55:14 Processing Time: 582ms