Man caused death of elderly neighbour, court told

By Edward Gay

Emanu Toafiga is charged with the manslaughter of Leslie Otto. Photo / Doug Sherring
Emanu Toafiga is charged with the manslaughter of Leslie Otto. Photo / Doug Sherring

A 62-year-old man is alleged to have caused the death of his 78-year-old neighbour who attacked him with a crowbar, a court has heard.

Emanu Toafiga is charged with the manslaughter of Leslie Otto, who died nine days after being admitted to hospital in April this year.

Toafiga appeared at the High Court at Auckland this morning where his lawyer Steve Cullen told the court that his client was attacked from behind by Mr Otto who had a crowbar.

He said Toafiga took the crowbar off Mr Otto before allegedly striking the elderly man.

Mr Cullen said Mr Otto was taken to hospital but refused treatment, showed signs of dementia and alcohol withdrawal, and removed medical tubes before he died of pneumonia.

Mr Cullen told the court he was waiting for a pathologist's report and has employed a private investigator.

Judge Pamela Andrews described the case as "complicated" and said there were a number of issues.

Toafiga is yet to enter a plea. His trial, scheduled to last four weeks, is due to begin in July next year.

The Herald on Sunday has previously reported that both men lived in a block of units in the Auckland suburb of Waterview.

- APNZ

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2016, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf03 at 01 May 2016 13:33:10 Processing Time: 535ms