Matthew Theunissen is a business reporter

Tannery workers' condition improving

Two tannery workers exposed to deadly hydrogen sulfide gas at work are getting better in hospital but remain in intensive care.

The two workers, who a Wellington Hospital spokesman said were both men in their 50s, were among 21 people taken to hospital following a chemical spill at Tasman Tanning in Castlecliff, Wanganui, on Friday.

They were initially listed as being in a critical but stable condition but had improved to being serious but stable, the spokesman said.

Tannery workers, some of them being attended to by paramedics, were seen siting or lying on the grass outside the factory.

Hydrogen sulfide is a colourless, poisonous, flammable gas. It has a strong smell, similar to rotten eggs and can affect lungs and breathing.


Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter


© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf03 at 25 May 2017 22:50:17 Processing Time: 350ms