Kirsty Wynn

Kirsty Wynn is a senior reporter at the Herald on Sunday.

Toddle killed by stove a 'precious little man'

Shannon Pratt and Daniel Collier say goodbye to their son Kobi. Photo / Doug Sherring
Shannon Pratt and Daniel Collier say goodbye to their son Kobi. Photo / Doug Sherring

The heartbroken parents of a toddler killed when a stove fell on him have spoken of their "precious little man" in a touching farewell.

Shannon Pratt and Daniel Collier buried their son Kobi George Collier yesterday in Te Aroha, the small Waikato town where he died last week.

Kobi's tiny white casket was covered with hand-written messages from friends and family and scribbles from his big sister Aroura, 3.

The 22-month-old's mother, Shannon, said she was devastated by his death and described her son as "our one and only angel in the sky and the fire that lights the sun".

Family friends spoke of a boy with a "contagious smile and golf ball cheeks" who had just started talking. They said Kobi always had a smile on his face.

Kobi's grandfather, Colin Collier, said the boy's death was a timely warning to parents, homeowners and landlords about the danger of stoves.

Kobi is believed to have opened the door of the free-standing stove and climbed up on it to get something off the bench.

Colin Collier said: "As soon as I heard what had happened, I went to my stove, opened the door and I was amazed at what little weight it took for the stove to fall forward.

"Kids climb everything, so every parent, homeowner and landlord should make sure these things are secure."

It was the second tragedy for Shannon who had a stillborn baby, Tyler, about five years ago.

Daniel Collier had moved to Dargaville for work after the Te Aroha meatworks burnt down.

- Herald on Sunday

© Copyright 2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on red akl_a3 at 03 Oct 2014 03:22:07 Processing Time: 647ms