Missing teen case: remains found

Police investigating the murder of teenager Hayden Miles have recovered human remains from a crime scene at a cemetery in Christchurch.

Detective Senior Sergeant Tony Hill said the remains were recovered this afternoon from a location which is still under examination at Ruru Lawn Cemetery in Linwood.

A forensic pathologist has been assisting police at the site today.

Formal identification of the remains had not yet been made but a post-mortem examination was expected to be held tomorrow.

Hayden's family have been kept fully informed of today's developments.

Police have spent the last few days digging in the cemetery in their search for Hayden's body.

Three large police tents had been erected in the eastern corner of Ruru Lawn Cemetery and appeared to be sited over existing graves.

A 27-year-old man appeared in court yesterday charged with the murder of the teenager, who has been missing since August 22.

The unemployed man was granted interim name suppression and remanded in custody without plea until December 22.

The charge alleges that he murdered Hayden Peter Miles on August 22 - the last day the then 15-year-old was seen alive.

An 18-year-old woman accused of being an accessory after the fact was granted bail.

The woman, who was also granted interim name suppression, is charged with actively suppressing evidence, and knowing the 27-year-old had committed murder, to enable him to avoid arrest.

A 35-year-old man is charged with robbing Miles of a cask of wine on August 22. He entered no plea and was remanded on bail to December 22.

Mr Hill revealed yesterday that police were conducting a scene examination at the Linwood graveyard, which is located near the property at 612 Cashel St, Linwood, where Hayden was last seen and which has been subject to a thorough forensic examination over the last 10 days.

Police would not say if the three offenders were known to Miles, or if they were connected to the Cashel St house.

Hayden has not been seen since August 22.

After a heartfelt public appeal by Hayden's family last month, the police hunt ramped up two weeks ago with a forensic examination of the dilapidated property at 612 Cashel St, where there had been "some sort of incident'' involving Hayden.

Hayden last spoke to his mother Jacqui from an unknown person's cellphone in the Linwood area before going to a friend's house on Cashel St on August 22.


Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter


© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf04 at 29 May 2017 00:59:58 Processing Time: 648ms