Christchurch's Guy Fawkes display on New Brighton Pier is to go ahead on Saturday night, however many popular vantage points around the Port Hills remain out of bounds.
The annual Treetech Guy Fawkes Fireworks Spectacular, which begins at 9pm, is one of many public displays on around the country marking 406 years since Guy Fawkes' failed attempt to blow up the British Parliament.
Christchurch City Council advises residents who plan to view the action from the Port Hills to find ground-level vantage points this year, as earthquake damage and the risk of rockfall has closed many Port Hills roads.
Several roads around New Brighton will also be closed from 6pm. Road closures can be found here.
Mayor Bob Parker said people must leave their own fireworks at home, and bear in mind New Brighton's alcohol ban.
"After an exciting few weeks of rugby celebrations, people can continue to enjoy the party atmosphere at a fun, relaxing event, and with your help, we'll make this another great Guy Fawkes night that everyone can enjoy."
Meanwhile, SPCA Auckland has offered tips on how to make the night as bearable as possible for pets.
Chief Executive Bob Kerridge suggests people stay at home with pets, as they will be less stressed if someone they trust is close by.
Animals should be kept indoors with curtains drawn and doors closed so they will not see the flashes and bangs will be muffled.
He says dogs should be collared, in case they are spooked and runaway. Horses and farm animals should be kept away from fireworks and fences should be secure.
Guy Fawkes events around the country this weekend (Saturday night unless otherwise stated):
- Great Barrier Island Guy Fawkes Celebration, Claris Sport and Social Club, Friday, November 4, 5.30pm
- Aqualectrix Fireworks Extravaganza, Pukekohe Park Raceway, 3pm, adult $12.00, child $5.
- Ohaupo: Waikato Fireworks Fiesta, Ohaupo Rugby Club, 5pm, adult $10, children $5
- Morrinsville: PWC Fireworks Extravaganza, Morrinsville Recreation Grounds, 5.30pm, adults $10, children $5
- Turua: Turua Guy Fawkes Gala, Turua Domain, Friday, November 4, 5.30pm
Bay of Plenty
- Tauranga: The planned fire works display at Bay Park has been postponed due to the birds at the nearby Wildlife Response Centre relocated because of the Rena oil spill crisis.
- Rotorua: CC Tyres Fireworks Spectacular, Paradise Valley Raceway, 7pm, $20 for adults, $10 children
- Gisborne: Gisborne Fireworks Fiesta Spectacular, Eastland Group Railway, 7pm, adults $15, children $8
- Taupo: Starlight Cinema Fireworks Extravaganza, Owen Delany Park, 5pm
- Napier: Taradale Primary School's Fireworks Extravaganza, Tremain Field, Friday, November 4, 6.30pm,
- Havelock North: Blast in the Park, Anderson Park, 6.30pm
- Feilding: Manawatu Fireworks Spectacular, Manfeild, Wednesday, November 16, 6.30pm, adults $10, children $5
- Palmerston North: Fireworks Spectacular and Ramp Derby, Arena Manawatu, 7pm, adults $25, children $10
- Norsewood Community Family Guy Fawkes night, Mathews Park, 5.30pm, donation to Norsewood Fire Brigade for entry
- Pelorus Trust Sky Show, Wellington waterfront, 9pm. Soundtrack on Classic Hits 90.1FM and ZM 90.9FM.
- Blenheim: Lights Over Marlborough, A & P Park on Maxwell Rd, 6pm, $6.
- Waiau Fireworks Display, Waiau Sports Ground, 5pm
- Christchurch: Treetech Guy Fawkes Fireworks Spectacular, New Brighton Pier, 9pm. Soundtrack on The Breeze 94.5 FM
- HERALD ONLINE