Ask Phoebe
Phoebe Falconer answers your questions about Auckland

Ask Phoebe: No WoF needed for ATV on road

By Phoebe Falconer

1 comment
Photo / Supplied
Photo / Supplied

I've just been grumbled at because, when passing a local lifestyler on their ATV (four-wheeled farm bike), I made them dusty. Now although we all bemoan the appalling state of the northern roads in the Super City, I'm sure I'm not responsible for their dustiness. What does concern me, though, is the actual status of these ATVs. I've often come across this particular one well after dusk, driving without lights. And, generally, they don't seem to be equipped with indicators - nor do rear-view mirrors seem to be fitted. One can travel a long time behind one before the driver/rider becomes aware they're not alone. I imagine that they aren't warranted or registered for road use. So what's their status on our roads? Are they actually allowed on them? And what would be the insurance risk in an accident? A little dust seems the least of all our concerns.

Barry Read, North Auckland.

This is a complicated one, but the AA and the Transport Agency put their heads together and came up with this answer.

"Like a moped there is no current requirement for an ATV to have a warrant of fitness. However, there is a responsibility for owners to maintain their vehicles in a roadworthy condition.

"At the end of the day these vehicles are not designed for on-road use apart from a farmer for example using a road to move from one paddock to another and where the distance travelled is less than 3km."

There are five categories for registration and licensing of ATVs, ranging from those that will never be used on roads, to those in commercial use, such as adventure tourism. For details go to I have not been able to find any information about the insurance risk.
I am about to turn 65, and have already received my SuperGold card (thank you, Mr Peters). I'm getting conflicting advice about when I can use the card to get free travel on Auckland's buses. Can you help please?

Ken Duncalfe, Remuera.

In Auckland, with your SuperGold card, you can travel for free on all scheduled public transport services after 9am on weekdays, and all day at the weekend and on public holidays. You just need to present a valid SuperGold card to the bus driver, train conductor or ferry ticketing agent or crew member and you will be issued with a ticket. Before 9am on weekdays, you will be required to pay a full adult fare.

- NZ Herald

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter


Have your say

1200 characters left

By and large our readers' comments are respectful and courteous. We're sure you'll fit in well.
View commenting guidelines.

Sort by
  • Oldest

© Copyright 2016, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf03 at 25 Oct 2016 05:03:09 Processing Time: 396ms