David Bain: 'Why I'm broke'

Bain will use legal aid to fund his fight for compensation.
Bain will use legal aid to fund his fight for compensation.

David Bain has spoken about his dire financial situation in the week it was revealed the Government is refusing to negotiate a compensation settlement.

Bain has told New Idea magazine, which goes on sale tomorrow: "I'm having to do everything from nothing. I've had to do a catch-up of 15 years. I've had no income."

Bain's legal team earlier said a proposed financial settlement, which it says would have cost taxpayers much less than an estimated $10 million fight for compensation, had been rejected by Justice Minister Simon Power. Power said there were no short cuts in the compensation process for wrongful imprisonment and the Bain team would have to prove that "on the balance of probabilities" Bain was innocent of the 1994 murder of his parents and three siblings.

Bain was last year found not guilty of the murders after spending 13 years in prison. He will now seek legal aid to fund his compensation bid. His defence at his High Court retrial last year cost taxpayers more than $2 million.

The 38-year-old Bain told New Idea a trust fund set up by his supporters had almost been eaten up by legal fees.

"I've managed to put some money aside from my prison earnings, but that's next to nothing - $25 a week was the top wage when I was there, and you're working for it." He is now living and working in West Auckland.

Bain also tells the magazine about his love life, including relationships in Europe.

- Herald on Sunday

© Copyright 2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on red akl_a2 at 02 Oct 2014 09:20:19 Processing Time: 499ms