More jobs go at TV3

By Bevan Hurley

John Campbell. Photo / Supplied
John Campbell. Photo / Supplied

Two TV journalists have been laid off from Campbell Live just days before Christmas, becoming the latest to feel the sharp end of MediaWorks' costcutting axe.

At least five reporters have left TV3 this month after sweeping cuts to the network's current affairs budget.

A source said they were uncertain whether there would be further cuts to the show.

"They have kept it pretty quiet, only telling people on a need-to-know basis."

Presenter John Campbell is not among the casualties from the 7pm current affairs show. But it is understood the lay-offs do include one reporter and one producer.

TV3 head of current affairs Mark Jennings and the show's executive producer Pip Keane did not return calls.

Some of the network's most high-profile reporters, such as Natasha Utting and Lachlan Forsyth, are reporters for Campbell Live.

The show is on a Christmas break and will return in January.

The axings come two weeks after award-winning investigative journalist Amanda Millar was made redundant when TV3 closed the 60 Minutes Wellington office.

Alison Horwood also chose not to take up an offer to relocate to Auckland and accepted redundancy.

At the time, Jennings said he could not rule out further cuts.

Other staff are discussing relocation or redundancy.

Veteran reporter Bob McNeil also left the 6pm news bulletin earlier this month after 20 years working for the channel.

- Herald on Sunday

© Copyright 2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on red akl_n1 at 20 Apr 2014 16:24:47 Processing Time: 607ms