Children killed in south Auckland fire named

The 39-year-old woman who lost a daughter and grandson in a horrific house fire which claimed four lives in south Auckland yesterday has been discharged from hospital.

Fetu Sau was given the all-clear today, but her husband Misi Sau, 50, is still in a stable condition in Middlemore Hospital, while a 19-year-old man is in a serious but stable condition.

Police today released the names of the children who perished in the fire at the Mangere house.

They were Mrs Sau's 15-year-old daughter Brenda (aka Brendalyn) Simati, and her one-year-old grandson Tyreece Simati, and Mr Sau's two daughters, Taua Evile, 11, and Mia Evile, 8.

Two of the bodies were found in the living room and one in the hallway near the front door. Baby Tyreece was found near his cot.

Mr and Mrs Sau suffered burns as they tried frantically to rescue their trapped children but were beaten back by the intense heat, blinding smoke and flames.

Two people in a sleepout at the rear of the house were not hurt.

Fire officers believe the fire was caused by a pan of cooking oil being left unattended.

Mrs Sau's brother George Iuta told The New Zealand Herald his sister was in "total shock" over the loss of "her baby Brenda".

Mr Iuta said she had also told him she could hear Brenda screaming she could not get out.

He said Tyreece's 18-year-old mother, Fa'afetai, was also distraught.

"She's just beside herself. We know she's trying to be strong, but she's not coping."


Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter


© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf03 at 27 Apr 2017 09:45:30 Processing Time: 497ms