Force to head caused Nia's death, court told

By Juliet zRowan, Juliet Rowan

Toddler Nia Glassie had a blood clot in her head that was 10 to 14 days old when she died, a pathologist told a court today.

Dr Simon Stables said the clot covered a large area about 9cm to 10cm in diameter between Nia's scalp and brain, and was likely due to trauma.

Blows to the head and falls from a height were usual causes of such injuries, he told the High Court at Rotorua.

Such injuries were also common in boxing when the boxer received a blow to the head and fell to the floor.

Dr Stables performed an autopsy on Nia on August 4 last year, the day after she died.

She was admitted to hospital in a coma 12 days before her death, and it is alleged that brothers Wiremu and Michael Curtis murdered the 3-year-old by kicking her in the head two days earlier.

Dr Stables said Nia's injury was caused by "a substantial degree of force", and possibly a kick to the head.

He said the clot in Nia's head was the result of veins rupturing, leading her brain to swell.

The post-mortem examination had shown a large part of the right side of her brain and some of the left side was dead by the time her life support was turned off.

This cerebral infarction - or brain death - caused Nia's death, Dr Stables said.

He ruled out a brain infection, acute encephalitis, which had been suggested as a possibility when Nia was first taken to hospital.

He said the 3-year-old was 96cm tall and weighed 11.5kg, which was thin for her age and height.

An external examination of her body showed multiple scars, including a 6cm one on her abdomen and healing scabs on her legs, but Dr Stables said there was nothing external that pointed to the cause of death.

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter


© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf03 at 27 May 2017 10:59:06 Processing Time: 303ms