Hundreds of readers have sent their views on the solution to violent crime following three murders in Manukau this month.
The five points here summarise the points most commonly made by readers.
Below that, political parties respond with their solutions to these issues.
1. Need to be seen to be tougher on criminals - and longer sentences need to be given out rather than parole after a few years
2. Prisons need to be a tougher and harsher place for criminals rather than a soft option
3. The police should be given tougher powers - or the ability to act tougher - and follow the likes of Singapore's treatment of criminals - rather than concentrating on their human rights in such a great way
4. There is a call for juries to be given the full facts about criminals when they are being prosecuted rather than being helped by the law by hiding previous convictions.
5. Calls for working more with youth during their formative years to keep them away from the gangs and so on.
NZ First - leader Winston Peters
(Other parties were also asked for their views. These will be published when provided to nzherald.co.nz)