Government agencies are hoping tighter rules surrounding fireworks will mean less stupidity this Guy Fawke's day.
This year fireworks will be on sale only from November 2 to 5 and only to adults. Until this year fireworks were on sale for 10 days and anybody aged 14 or over could buy them.
New controls on the sale of sparklers are also being introduced to avoid people buying in bulk and potentially making a dangerous 'sparkler bomb'.
Agencies involved in bringing about the tighter rules are: Environmental Risk Management Authority (Erma) and Ministry for the Environment, the fire service and the police.
Erma chief executive Rob Forlong said the havoc caused by fires last year strained the Fire Service.
"When people start using them to deliberately cause damage it ruins a night for all the families who enjoy the backyard fun of a fireworks display."
He said the new rules should make life easier for emergency services.
"The new rules also give a signal to adults that they must supervise their children and teenagers and speak up when they see people causing mischief or harm."
Mr Forlong said fireworks should be used at organised events at home or at a public display.