Key Points:

A Napier brothel manager is appealing to local businesses to donate beds, couches and linen in return for advertising, so it can reopen after a fire scorched the premises.

Paul Hale, manager of Club 100, said the massage parlour did not have contents insurance.

He hoped businesses would make donations so the club could reopen and the "girls" could stay on the payroll.

"We have working-class people that come through - not people on benefits - and if The Warehouse, Sleepyhead or Mitre 10 donated then it would spread the working word."

Mr Hale said the club would be happy to display signs acknowledging donations.

The club caught fire about 3am on Monday and five fire appliances attended the blaze. No one was hurt as the club closed at midnight.

Mr Hale said the brothel was blackened, smoke-damaged and a "real mess".

It would take three months before it could reopen, but he was looking for alternative premises.

Mr Hale was concerned for his 10 "girls", who had families to support and bills to pay.

Detective Sergeant Sean Hansen said after initial examinations that the fire did not appear suspicious.

He said it seemed the electrical fire started in a multi-box and built up over time.

- HAWKE'S BAY TODAY