Kurt Bayer is a Herald reporter based in Christchurch

Police officer's victims urged to come forward

File photo / NZ Herald
File photo / NZ Herald

Possible further victims of a crooked Christchurch cop are being urged to come forward after the former senior officer admitted sex and corruption charges today.

Senior Constable Gordon Stanley Meyer, 45, told a suspected drink driver that any charges would go away if she performed oral sex on him.

He also groped an 18-year-old woman he was giving a lift between pubs while on duty in his marked patrol car.

Meyer, who has since resigned from police, will be sentenced next month after pleading guilty in the High Court at Christchurch today to indecent assault and corruption and bribery charges.

He had been protected by name suppression since the incidents in 2011, but his identity was able to be revealed today after he admitted the charges.

Assistant Police Commissioner Grant Nicholls said police welcomed the conviction on behalf of the victims.

He said the police investigation remained open and he urged other possible victims to also come forward.

"Following today's conviction, there may be others in the community who have information that is important to our inquiries. Our investigation still remains open and we encourage them to please come forward and speak with us."

Mr Nicholls praised all of those who had come forward, which had allowed police to hold Meyer to account and get justice for his victims.

"No one should have to put up with the kind of disgraceful behaviour exhibited by this former officer, who abused his position of trust and hurt those who he should have been helping."

The conviction was the result of public support, with the police investigation team investing some 9000 hours of work and taking more than 80 statements as part of the "complex and challenging" investigation.

The court was told today that Meyer, who had 19 years' service and often worked as the acting sergeant at Christchurch South police station, was working alone on night shift on September 15, 2011.

His 23-year-old victim that night was the driver of a car he had seen leaving a Riccarton pub about 1.35am. He pulled the car over and carried out a breath alcohol test suggested she was over the limit.

When the woman asked what options she had, Meyer twice suggested: "How about we sort it out on a personal level?"

Crown prosecutor Pip Currie told the court the victim then suggested that they go across the road where she would perform oral sex on him.

When Meyer asked her about her male companion who was with her, a later time was suggested.

He dropped any official police paperwork, took her keys and dropped them both home.

Meyer returned to her house in the police car at around 3.30am, but a friend went outside and told him that she didn't want anything to do with him.

Between September 15 and October 10, Meyer phoned the woman 19 times from his home telephone, his personal cellphone, the patrol sergeant's cellphone, and other fixed phones at his station.

When he pulled over a car she was travelling in as a passenger on October 20, she "thought she was being stalked" and made a formal complaint.

The court also heard Meyer had made inappropriate contact with an 18-year-old woman he met on official police duties earlier in 2011.

In early April, she was at a hotel in Hornby, when after midnight an arrangement was made to provide her with a ride in his patrol car to a Riccarton bar.

He pulled over in a side street and she asked what he was doing, Ms Currie said.

"He grabbed her hand and placed it on the crotch area of his trousers and attempted to undo the zip," the summary of facts says.

"She pulled her hand away. He then placed his hand under her top and bra, and touched her breasts and made a comment that he wanted to suck her breasts."

Again, he put her hand on his groin, the court heard.

"She felt powerless, she was scared of him," the court heard.

Afterwards, he again made "numerous phone calls to her" and "made comments to her of a sexual nature which made her feel uncomfortable".

Justice Graham Panckhurst remanded Meyer on existing bail conditions to December 19 for sentencing.

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter


© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf04 at 23 May 2017 12:08:17 Processing Time: 697ms