International stars rev up - just quietly

Cory Kruseman, left, and Lotto millionaire Trevor Cooper at Western Springs this week. Photo / Getty Images
Cory Kruseman, left, and Lotto millionaire Trevor Cooper at Western Springs this week. Photo / Getty Images

Western springs Speedway promoters are bringing in big-name racers to try to shore up support ahead of next year's community consultation involving noise levels.

Springs Promotions had faced an ongoing battle with Auckland Council after a noise issue led to restrictions being imposed on the speedway. It is understood Regional Facilities Auckland will consult Auckland residents next September on their expectations for the major stadiums, including Western Springs, Eden Park and Mt Smart. The most recent noise readings by the council at the speedway last month showed five out of the 20 races that night broke the maximum noise limit of 90 decibels. Each of those races recorded 92dB. The council states that noise levels should not exceed 90dB for 60 per cent of races on any night, and 88dB for the other 40 per cent.

International speedway stars including 20-year-old American Kyle Larson and Cory Kruseman, who has been brought to New Zealand by Lotto millionaire Trevor Cooper, will race at Western Springs on January 1, 3 and 5.

Western Springs spokesman Brian Lawrence said international names were great for promoting speedway within New Zealand and boosted its profile overseas.

"All the international guys love coming here and this track is well regarded overseas," Lawrence said. "Speedway has been great for Auckland."

Lawrence said organisers had "bent over backwards" to restrict noise from the track without having too much of a negative impact on drivers and spectators.

Race nights had been reduced from 22 to 12, the number of cars on the track had been restricted and drivers had modified their exhausts to lower noise levels. Lawrence said wealthy businessman Bill Buckley had personally picked up the shortfall left by reduced race nights.

- Herald on Sunday

© Copyright 2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on red akl_n1 at 01 Oct 2014 23:00:36 Processing Time: 496ms