Five things you should never let your dog eat

Photo / Thinkstock
Photo / Thinkstock

Dogs can be persuasive, especially when it comes to food. But don't let those "puppy dog eyes" fool you - some snacks can be fatal. Do you know which food your pup can't handle?

1. Chocolate

Most people know about this one, perhaps because you'd be hard pressed to find a human who doesn't like chocolate. But while choccy might be a comforting treat for us, for our canine friends it can end in vomiting, diarrhoea and even seizures. Some experts even say the darker the chocolate, the more serious the poisoning.

2. Grapes

They seem harmless but they're not; dogs that ingest grapes can suffer from vomiting, diarrhoea and other gastrointestinal discomfort, not to mention increased risk of kidney failure. If you're the owner of a smaller dog, your dog could easily choke on grapes (and raisins) - so keep these tasty human treats away from your little mates.

3. Caffeine

Even if you can't function without your daily morning coffee, make sure you keep your flat white away from your pet: it can overstimulate the central nervous system and end up in severe restlessness, heart palpitations and even fatal consequences. While a couple of laps could potentially be harmless, any more and you should definitely be worried (particularly for small dogs).

4. Xylitol (sweetener)

Even if you don't know what xylitol is, you can bet it's in plenty of food you have in the house. Often used as a sugar substitute in products marketed as 'sugar-free' (such as chewing gum, mints and even some toothpaste), xylitol is considered better for our teeth than other kinds of sugar - but for dogs it can be incredibly dangerous and even fatal. Xylitol toxicity in dogs is increasingly becoming a problem; don't let your pooch near this stuff.

5. Rat poison and insecticides

Seems obvious - but it's important to be aware and not to let your dog near this stuff. A common cause of dog poisoning, rodent poisons designed to attract animals can end in uncontrollable bleeding that can be fatal for dogs. If you have a rodent problem and you're also a dog owner, try and come up with an alternative solution.

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter


© Copyright 2016, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf02 at 26 Oct 2016 05:55:40 Processing Time: 432ms