John Hawkesby

John Hawkesby is a wine writer for Canvas Magazine.

Selaks' birthday selection

Founded in 1934 by Marino Selak, the Selaks brand stands proud among the courageous early Croatian immigrants who were pivotal in the development of the New Zealand wine industry. Happy 80th, Selaks. Thanks for the memories and those yet to come.

1. 2013 Selaks Reserve Hawkes Bay Merlot Cabernet

Predominantly merlot (90 per cent) with cabernet contributing the remaining 10 per cent. Cabernet provides a touch of grunt, structure and backbone and the merlot delivers a soft, velvety richness. Loads of plum and blackberry with a dose of spice and oak. Great with lamb shanks.

Price: $17

2. 2013 Selaks Reserve Marlborough Pinot Gris

This is the perfect choice to complement a pork dish, especially if accompanied by apple sauce. A wine bursting with aromas of pears, apples, melon, honey, quince and a medley of spices. The grapes were grown in Marlborough's Awatere Valley and this has oodles of tropical fruit characteristics. Fresh, bright, breezy, clean and lean.

Price: $17

3. 2012 Selaks Reserve Waipara Gisborne Dessert Wine

An inspired blend of aromatic varietals riesling and gewurztraminer for a burst of citrus sharpness, which is able to cut through aged cheeses or calorie-enriched creamy puddings. The riesling (56 per cent) is from Waipara and the gewurztraminer (44 per cent) from Gisborne, our premier place for this varietal. Overall, a sweet, spicy and
concentrated wine.

Price: $17

All of the above wines are available to purchase online for a limited time at heraldwine.co.nz. Herald wine offers are powered by Glengarry and GrabOne Bottle.

- NZ Herald

© Copyright 2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on red akl_n2 at 23 Jul 2014 04:24:18 Processing Time: 695ms