• 2 medium (300g) beetroot
• 1½ cups (300g) brown short grain rice
• 4 cups (800ml) vegetable stock
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1 small onion, diced
• 2 small granny smith apples cut into wedges
• Sea salt and pepper
• 1 tsp caraway seeds, dry roasted and crushed
• Zest and juice of half a lemon
• 1 bunch rocket leaves
• 1 cup (250ml) balsamic vinegar
• ¼ cup (50ml) apple juice concentrate
1. Boil scrubbed beetroot in skin until tender and reserve liquid. Peel and dice beetroot and puree half of it with some of the liquid.
2. Sweat onions and rice with oil until glossy.
3. Add caraway seeds and gradually the hot vegetable stock, cooking slowly until the rice is done. Add diced beetroot at the last minute to keep colour.
4. For the balsamic glaze: reduce vinegar and apple juice concentrate to syrup over low heat.
5. Cut apples into wedges and bake on tray at 180C for 5 minutes.
6. Arrange risotto on rocket leaves, top with apples and drizzle with glaze.