1. With a strong knife cut down the breastbone of a whole chicken (preferably a tasty free range one). Flatten it on a board with the heel of your hand.
2. Oil the bottom of a roasting dish. Cut 3 lemons into thick slices and layer these across the pan.
3. Cover the slices with 6 garlic cloves, also sliced, and some fresh dill or fennel leaves.
4. Sit the chicken on top, spread a little oil across it and sprinkle with fennel seeds and salt and pepper.
5. Bake in a moderate oven till cooked (approx 1 hour). Serve with lemon pasta and a green salad.