Makes one 28cm springform tin
60g unsalted butter, diced
175g brown sugar
2 pears, quartered and thinly sliced
300g plain flour, sieved twice
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
3 tsp ground ginger
165g butter, diced
225g brown sugar
1 1/2 cups golden syrup
2 limes, zested and juiced
285g sour cream
1. In a small saucepan, stir the first amount of butter and brown sugar until combined, then pour into a lined cake tin. Slightly overlap the pears in the base on the tin.
2. Sift the flour, baking soda and ginger into a bowl.
3. Preheat the oven to 165C.
4. In a mixing bowl, beat the second amount of butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy, then add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between additions.
5. Add the golden syrup and lime, beating well, and then alternate with the sour cream and the flour mix, folding until just combined.
6. Pour the mixture over the pears and bake for 90 minutes.