Weasel too much for Large Hadron Collider
The Large Hadron Collider, the world's biggest particle accelerator, was taken offline on Friday after running into some electrical problems. Upon inspection, engineers found the charred remains of what they believed used to be a weasel. The furry intruder managed to gnaw through a 66-kilovolt transformer inside the electrical facility that stands separate from the main building in Geneva, Switzerland. The LHC will be offline for at least a week as engineers fix the damage. It once had to be shut down because a bird caused a short circuit by dropping a baguette (they are right on the French border) into the electrical system. (Source: Death and Taxes)
Lacking Austin powers
A reader writes: "My sister and I, as teenagers in the 70s, drove around in the wrong car for a fortnight before the police showed up and enlightened us.
We'd only had it for a week or so when it had broken down and a mechanic had been sent to collect it but had collected an identical grey Austin parked nearby. We weren't very car-minded and our own car was still there. True story - it appeared in the NZ Herald police column at the time."
Security on a shoestring budget
"When I was in my first year at university in Christchurch, I called the brand new YMCA hostel in Hereford St home," writes Jeremy. "It's about five or six storeys and I happened to get off on the wrong floor - each floor being laid out exactly the same - went to what I thought was my room, put in the key and opened the door. Turns out each floor not only looked the same, but all the rooms had the exact same lock."