A mouse caught up in electrical wiring sparked an emergency at a Tauranga school today.

Tauranga Waldorf School in Welcome Bay called the fire service at about 10am after a shutterbox began smoking.

Board of Trustees chair Peter Flint said the school had experienced a power outage earlier in the morning but became concerned when the smoke started.

Firefighters responded to the 111 call and took care of the situation before a fire broke out and the crispy mouse was discovered.

Advertisement

Mr Flint said the cause of the smoke was due to the mouse getting into the system.

"The mouse is now well cooked and this is where the smoke came from."

The school was had now had its power restored, Mr Flint said.

Tauranga firefighters have been called to a Tauranga primary school. Photo/file
Tauranga firefighters have been called to a Tauranga primary school. Photo/file