The police officer who shot a man in Rotorua last week is one of several police staff still off work following the incident.
Police involved in Thursday's incident on Te Ngae Rd were "understandably traumatised", according to a police spokeswoman.
Responding to inquiries from the Rotorua Daily Post, the spokeswoman said all staff involved were being supported and all had been offered counselling after the incident.
The 35-year-old man was shot twice in the stomach on Te Ngae Rd on Thursday after he was seen wielding a slasher. Police tried to pepper spray him and he was tasered three times before being shot twice by an officer near the busy Redwoods shopping centre.
The spokeswoman said some staff had returned to work but others, including the officer who shot the man, had not.
"No police officer comes to work expecting their shift to end with them being in a situation where lethal force was necessary."
The incident was being investigated by officers from the Bay of Plenty district and other districts. The Independent Police Conduct Authority was also investigating the incident.
"The staff working on the investigation are from the wider Bay of Plenty district, with oversight from other districts. Police National Headquarters has also been providing assistance."
While the number of staff working on the investigation changed daily, it was about 25 police.
So far police had interviewed more than 80 people who witnessed the event and a number had provided footage, she said.
"Police believe there are still witnesses to come forward and ask anyone who hasn't yet come forward to please make contact with Rotorua Police Station."
The man has not yet been charged with any offences relating to the incident. He had allegedly earlier attacked a police car.
He remains in Waikato Hospital in a critical condition and police are yet to talk to him.
"The investigation is ongoing, there is no timeframe on how long it may take."