Pukehina fire caused by spontaneous combustion

A fire in a Pukehina shed in the early hours of the morning was caused by spontaneous combustion of chemicals.

Pukehina Fire Brigade were called to a Pukehina Pde address about 1.10am to put out a fire in a workshop at the back of a property.

Senior firefighter Ivan Burgener said the shed had been filled with chemicals and adhesives as the man in the house made and repaired surfboards.

Mr Burgener said there had been a chemical reaction on the rags the man used or something similar, causing spontaneous combustion.

The fire took about 45 minutes to put out and no one was hurt.

- Bay of Plenty Times

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter


© Copyright 2015, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf04 at 26 Nov 2015 12:49:46 Processing Time: 321ms