Fireworks causes vegetation fire in Pyes Pa

By Joseph Aldridge

Greerton firefighters have put out the first fire of the Guy Fawkes period, in Pyes Pa this afternoon.

Greerton fire station officer Paul Van Kol said the fire was caused by two men in their 20's who had set off a "fire bomb" and accidently set fire to a shelterbelt hedge.

The fire spread along the hedge about 40 metres and also burnt some gum trees before firefighters brought the fire under control.

The two men had tried to put the fire out but it got out of control, Mr Van Kol said.

They were given a stern talking to by the rural fire safety officer.

Mr Van Kol said it was a reminder for people to be aware of their surroundings when setting off fireworks.

Fireworks are only sold for four days a year, prior to Guy Fawkes night, and today was the first day of sales.

- Bay of Plenty Times

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter


© Copyright 2015, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf04 at 28 Nov 2015 20:42:21 Processing Time: 625ms