Fire erupts in Te Puke home

By Genevieve Helliwell

A Te Puke family are lucky not to have lost their home after a fire erupted in a bedroom yesterday afternoon.

Te Puke volunteer fire brigade spent about an hour and a half at the Allanah Place property after the home owner phoned emergency services about 4.30pm.

Fire chief Glenn Williams said the fire started in the master bedroom, under the bed.

"The fire itself didn't spread beyond the bedroom but the whole house would have been affected by smoke damage,'' he said.

"We didn't have to squirt any water because the fire was out, just a few things were smouldering so we removed them from the house and ventilated it because there was thick, black smoke in every room.''

Mr Williams said the fire did not cause any structural damage to the home.

"But the bedroom walls were quite charred ... so now they've got a lot of cleaning to do.''

Mr Williams said it was fortunate the family called the fire brigade quickly, as the fire could have caused a lot more damage.

- Bay of Plenty Times

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter


© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf03 at 29 Apr 2017 07:14:43 Processing Time: 385ms