Sting that could be deadly

By Simon Waters

Add a comment
Jellyfish on the beach at Castlecliff Beach yesterday.PHOTO/ BEVAN CONLEY
Jellyfish on the beach at Castlecliff Beach yesterday.PHOTO/ BEVAN CONLEY

Ouch!

Don't get stung on Whanganui beaches this summer.

Bluebottles dotted the coastline yesterday. Several dozen of the small blue jellyfish (also known as Portuguese man-of-war jellyfish) were evident at Castlecliff Beach, and further along towards the North Mole.

Beach visitor German student Sarah Metzger had not seen one before yesterday and did not know they could sting. "We don't get them in Germany," she said.

As with any sting, the sensation is unpleasant, and its severity depends on the amount of contact the skin has had with the tentacle. Although extremely unlikely, it is possible that a bluebottle sting may cause a severe allergic reaction that can be life-threatening, according to the Ministry of Health.

If a person who has been stung by a bluebottle develops chest tightness or difficulty breathing and is getting worse, it is time to get urgent medical help, they advise.

Mostly it just hurts. First aid consists of carefully removing any tentacles left on the skin, and bathing with warm water for 20 minutes. Use of vinegar is not recommended as bluebottles differ from other jellyfish, where vinegar can be applied.

Dog owners should also be careful.

- Wanganui Chronicle

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

Have your say

1200 characters left

By and large our readers' comments are respectful and courteous. We're sure you'll fit in well.
View commenting guidelines.

© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf05 at 28 Mar 2017 01:32:39 Processing Time: 415ms