Fire restrictions extended across region as arid summer stretches on

By Zaryd Wilson

Add a comment

Rangitikei, Manawatu and Horowhenua have joined Whanganui in declaring a restricted fire season.

From 1am on Wednesday permits will be required for all open-air fires except for barbecues lit in properly constructed containers and fuelled with gas or liquid fuel and properly constructed incinerators with lid, flue and ash pan.

Meanwhile the 3km coastal strip along the three districts is in a prohibited fire season.

In all other areas, permits will only be issued for essential land management operations during normal office hours after allowing time for an inspection by a rural fire officer.

There was record low rainfall in some parts of the district in December and principal rural fire officer Paul Chaffe said all data monitored pointed to elevated risk and the need for the restriction. It will be in place until further notice.

"It's really hard to say, it changes day by day," Mr Chaffe said.

"We haven't really recorded any significant rainfall."

He said so far this summer had been relatively quiet.

All inquiries about fire restrictions should be made by calling local district council offices.

- Wanganui Chronicle

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

Have your say

1200 characters left

By and large our readers' comments are respectful and courteous. We're sure you'll fit in well.
View commenting guidelines.

© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf02 at 25 Jan 2017 06:46:05 Processing Time: 160ms