The Department of Corrections can be trusted to keep the Wanganui community safe from serial sex offender Stewart Murray Wilson.
That was the response from Wanganui Mayor Annette Main to news that Wilson had been recalled to prison by the Parole Board after breaching one of his parole conditions.
Ms Main said she received the news from Whanganui Police around 8pm on Thursday night. She said other Wanganui District councillors had also been contacted by the police.
Ms Main said her reaction was one of relief. "I was pleased that the Department of Corrections acted as quickly as they did. They have backed up what they said when Wilson first arrived here - that they will act if he breaches any of his parole conditions."
She said it was not for her to say whether Wilson was a threat to the Wanganui community.
"It's not my call as to whether he's a threat to any community. The Parole Board made that call when they imposed all those conditions on him, and obviously those conditions were justified.
"I am just pleased this was the condition he broke, rather than one that affected our community."
Ms Main said the council had not discussed whether to take any further legal action against the Department of Corrections and the Parole Board.
Cr Philippa Baker-Hogan, chair of the Community Safety Group, called the response of the Corrections Department to the alleged breach by Wilson "timely and appropriate".
"I was informed last night by the police that the Corrections Department successfully applied to the Parole Board for an interim recall for Stewart Murray Wilson as a result of him breaching a parole condition. It is pleasing to know that Corrections acted quickly and that council were contacted directly about this issue.
"Earlier this week, as chair of the Community Safety Group, I was updated by representatives from the police and Corrections on their strict and vigilant monitoring of Wilson through a comprehensive response plan 'matrix' which would enable a swift response to a potential breach - which is what happened yesterday.
"I commend the police and Corrections on their actions and we now await the outcome of the Parole Board hearing in March." Staff reporters