Rotorua looks set for a bright and sunny, albeit chilly, long weekend and, with accommodation filling up, it is sure to be busy around the city.
Rotorua Association of Motels chairwoman and owner of Cedarwood Lakeside Motel and Conference Venue Fiona Suurenbroek said it looked like about 50 per cent of the city's motels were full tonight, and tomorrow night looked almost full.
"The bookings have been made in general in the last week or so, with many properties filling for the whole three nights only recently.
"I would expect Saturday night will fill up and Friday and Sunday will perhaps attract those last-minute holiday makers waiting to see how the weather turns out.
"It should be a good weekend for Rotorua."
MetService forecaster Georgina Griffiths said Rotorua was in store for some great weather over the long weekend. "There will be some light winds and it looks to be a bit chilly in the mornings, but it will be sunny in the afternoons, making it great weather to get out and about in."
She said the morning temperatures would be sitting around 0C and the maximum during the daytime would be about 13C.
"At least it's sunny and dry. It looks great for the long weekend, I'd love to be going to Rotorua myself," Mrs Griffiths said.
Sergeant Simon Betchetti of Rotorua police said people needed to make sure they were safe on the roads over the long weekend.
"Coming into the long weekend, we need to remind the public of things to be aware of - patience of other drivers, fatigue, safety belts are important, planning your trip and driving rested - it's about driving to the conditions. The 4km [over the speed limit] tolerance will be on over the long weekend, make sure you get everybody there safely."
Top 10 things to do in Rotorua this weekend:
1. Head to the Redwoods and enjoy a walk through our local forest or jump on your bike and ride.
2. Check out the Kuirau Park markets tomorrow morning for some fresh produce and entertainment.
3. Take the family out fishing or go for a picnic on one of our many lakes.
4. Head to the Okere Falls Strong Beerfest for some beer tasting and live music - it's on all weekend!
5. Check out the two new exhibition openings at the Arts Village: "Fire and Water" and "Young at Art".
6. Catch some live music around Rotorua's bars - The Sunrise Rockers are live at Ambrosia from 2pm to 5pm tomorrow.
7. Head out to Hamurana Springs and enjoy a nature walk while learning some local history from the story-telling signs.
8. Step out of your comfort zone and try somewhere different for a lazy weekend coffee or brunch.
9. Take a drive around one of our beautiful lakes and explore a bay you might normally drive past.
10. Have a barbecue: this could be the last bit of sunshine we have for a while, why not celebrate it with a good old-fashion Kiwi barbecue?