Something special was in store...

By Cherie Taylor

Popping into Rotorua's The Warehouse to pick up a few last things for her soon-to-be born baby, Terina Kokiri found little time to shop as her precious "miracle" decided it was time to make her appearance into the world.

The Rotorua mother of two said she decided on Saturday night to do a bit of "midnight" shopping to pick up a few things after spending the day changing around the furniture in her lounge.

Her baby was due the next day.

She and her mum, Inoi Samuels, walked from Phillip St to the nearby Central Mall for the shopping expedition about 10pm on Saturday.

Little did she know the latest member of the family was to be introduced to the world less than three hours later.

"I needed a few socks and a couple of jumpsuits and some slippers so we walked to The Warehouse. Next minute I was in labour. The head was crowning and I couldn't move at all."

Unable to walk, she sat on the floor as shoppers walked past asking if she was okay, Ms Kokiri said.

"I just told them I was due on the 23rd. It was so embarrassing. I couldn't get up."

One woman stopped and went to get staff who called an ambulance for Ms Kokiri.

Staff set up sheets like a tent blocking her from view. One shopper, Heather Thompson, felt so sorry for Ms Kokiri, she rushed to the checkout and bought the bits and pieces she was shopping for.

"Everyone was so lovely. The staff were amazing and that woman, I don't even know her name, was just awesome. We so appreciated all their help."

Mrs Thompson told The Daily Post she couldn't ignore the woman sitting on the ground in obvious pain.

Taking advantage of a peaceful night shopping without kids in tow, it turned out to be far from a quiet night of shopping, Mrs Thompson said.

"I came around the aisle and there was this poor woman sitting on the concrete floor. I thought she'd had a seizure or something ... I asked if she was okay and needed any help."

Refusing her assistance, she said she couldn't walk away and went to get a wheelchair from the store security to find it had been stolen.

"They didn't want to make a fuss."

As Ms Kokiri was taken to the ambulance, Mrs Thompson bought the socks and slippers and took them to the ambulance and gave them to the mother.

Mrs Thompson said she was feeling rather proud as she arrived home after helping Ms Kokiri.

"I came home with such a warm heart ... the circle of life goes on."

An hour after the drama unfolded in front of her, Ms Kokiri's daughter made an appearance into the world at Rotorua Hospital weighing just over 2kg.

She hasn't been given a first name yet but her second, third and fourth middle names are already set to be Miharo (miracle), Pepi (baby) and Kotiri o Te Inoi, after her nanny.

"She's so easy. She's blissfully unaware of the drama around her birth."

- Rotorua Daily Post

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter


© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf05 at 24 Apr 2017 23:24:58 Processing Time: 511ms