Fire rips through roof of Lake Okareka house

By Alice Guy -
Add a comment
House fire at Lake Okareka Photo/Ben Fraser
House fire at Lake Okareka Photo/Ben Fraser

A heat gun is believed to be the cause of a fire that ripped through the roof of a Lake Okareka home.

The Rotorua Fire Brigade was called to attend the fire on Calder Rd, shortly after 10am today.

The cause of the fire is believed to be a heat gun, used to remove paint from the exterior of the house.

The occupants of the house weren't home at the time, but contractors raised the alarm and used a garden hose to contain it the best they could.

The fire burnt out the roof void above a garage and upstairs bedroom.

Senior Station Officer Jim Prescott said Lake Okareka Rural Fire Party and Rotorua Fire Brigade brought the fire under control in six to eight minutes.

"Quite a lot of damage was done," he said.

"All it takes is a small hole between boards, a few spider webs and a bit of dust."

Nobody was injured in the fire.

Mr Prescott said the best method for people using a heat gun was to have a hose available and the ability to break into the wall cavity.

"People always worry about a small hole in their wall, but as we've seen today it can create a lot of damage."

For more articles from this region, go to

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

Have your say

1200 characters left

By and large our readers' comments are respectful and courteous. We're sure you'll fit in well.
View commenting guidelines.

© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf03 at 29 May 2017 18:36:08 Processing Time: 550ms