The man accused of the carjacking and stabbing on April 29 that left a woman in her 60s requiring hospital treatment was denied bail yesterday at the Napier District Court.
Justin Tipuna Poi, 36, was charged with aggravated robbery, threatening to kill, aggravated wounding, unlawful taking of a motor vehicle, failing to stop, and dangerous driving in relation to the incident.
The victim, an employee of a Napier sports bar with TAB facilities, was leaving work about 3pm on the day the alleged assault took place.
She had with her $21,595, the weekend's takings, as she got into her car.
The court was told Poi had watched the sports bar to detect employees' patterns of behaviour in coming and going.
Judge Bridget Mackintosh said the victim was approached after she got into her car.
Poi had allegedly opened the driver's door and demanded the woman get out.
It was alleged he had a 15cm paring knife under his jacket and it was used to stab the victim in the hip.
The woman needed surgery for the wound and she was described by Judge Mackintosh as having been "extremely shaken up" by the incident.
The police allege that after stabbing the victim, Poi threw her to the ground before taking off in her 2010 Suzuki Swift.
Judge Mackintosh said he had loaded the $21,595 and the victim's handbag into a black rubbish bag, which he stuffed in the footwell of the passenger seat.
Poi was spotted driving the car by police about five minutes later, the court was told.
He allegedly refused to stop, and after a pursuit, crossed the centre line and crashed the car, injuring himself.
Poi missed his first court appearance because he was in hospital.
Yesterday, the accused was on crutches, and the judge allowed him to sit in the dock during his appearance.
Poi's co-accused, Louisa Tuhuamohitaka, who has been charged as an accessory to the aggravated robbery, did not appear in court yesterday.
Tuhuamohitaka appeared last month and was granted bail.
Judge Mackintosh declined Poi bail, citing the extremely serious nature of the alleged offence.
He will reappear in court on July 25.