Neighbour treated after fire bravery

By Patrick O'Sullivan

The value of a "hero" neighbour and good fire precautions were realised on Saturday by pregnant mother-of-two Kimberley Riley in Hastings.

She was cooking dinner on Saturday at about 5.35pm on St Aubyn St West when she heard "a loud whoosh" just two metres behind her.

A pot of fat had caught fire on the stove.

"It just went straight up and I grabbed my son and daughter and went outside - me being pregnant.

"I yelled out, my neighbour turned down the music down and I yelled again."

Ms Riley's ex-partner Brendan Griffiths happened to be visiting and ran inside to deal to the flames.

"I did the dumb thing by putting water in the pot," he said. Neighbour Mr Chris Johnson said he ran inside the house to check nobody was still inside.

"I saw a pot in flames and managed to take it outside and throw it on the lawn," he said.

Hastings Fire Senior Station Officer Kerry Harford said because Ms Riley had good fire precautions in place it ensured a "no-drama" call out.

"They had two properly-functioning smoke alarms - there was no damage to the house whatsoever from the fire on the stove and everyone got out safely."

He said burning fat "can be tough on the old lungs".

"As a precaution the neighbour was taken by ambulance to hospital because of smoke inhalation."

Mr Johnson was discharged from hospital later that evening.

- Hawkes Bay Today

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter


© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf02 at 27 Mar 2017 21:07:01 Processing Time: 459ms