Two Bay women and a man accused of causing the death of a eight-month-old baby boy plan to defend the allegations at trial.

Shane Christopher Neil, 29, Lacey-Marie Te Whetu, 26, and Donna Catherine Parangi, 48, each faced a manslaughter charge when they appeared in Tauranga High Court today.

The trio are accused of causing the death of the baby on November 2 at Taneatua after failing to perform their duties to provide the necessaries of life and take reasonable steps to protect him from injury.

Crown solicitor Greg Hollister-Jones told Justice Tim Brewer the Crown would be presenting further evidence in support of the manslaughter charge, plus evidence from a paediatrician as an expert witness.

Advertisement

Mr Hollister-Jones said police were still making further enquiries and he expected this evidence to be available by the end of December.

He said there had also been a legal challenge as to the admissibility of two statements made to police by Ms Parangi.

Justice Brewer further remanded the defendants on bail to next appear in the Tauranga High Court on December 14 for another trial callover hearing.

However, he confirmed a trial had been set down to begin in the Rotorua High Court on May 15 next year.