Seven-year-old saves family from fire

Add a comment
Fire safety officer John Rewi. Photo/File
Fire safety officer John Rewi. Photo/File

A 7-year-old saved her family from a fire in Omokoroa on Friday night.

Bay of Plenty fire safety officer John Rewi said the girl was watching television when the fire began and woke the rest of her family up.

Mr Rewi said the fire started in the sleep out.

"It was a log fire that caused the fire, probably because it wasn't put in professionally.

"The family were very, very lucky because there were no smoke alarms."

Mr Rewi said the damage was not bad, which he credited to the Omokoroa Volunteer Fire Brigade.

"They responded very quickly and extinguished the fire very quickly. They did a great job."

The damage was mostly around the fire place, around the flue and in building paper on the roof. The sleep out had no ceiling.

- Bay of Plenty Times

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

Have your say

1200 characters left

By and large our readers' comments are respectful and courteous. We're sure you'll fit in well.
View commenting guidelines.

© Copyright 2016, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf04 at 02 Oct 2016 11:59:55 Processing Time: 370ms