Mount electrical fire sparks evacuation

By Sandra Conchie

Add a comment
Photo/File
Photo/File

Tenants of The Mooring Apartments in Mount Maunganui had to evacuate for up to an hour while the fire brigade put out a fire and cleared the smoke-filled building.

Tauranga Fire Brigade senior station officer Mania Durham said at 6.23am this morning the brigade was called to the four-storey building, after a small fire started in the electrics room on the ground floor.

Mr Graham said for some reason some of the wiring caught fire, but luckily the smafire was contained within the room, however there was significant smoke throughout the building.

"When we arrived there were about 30 people already standing outside...We found the source of the fire pretty quickly. Once we put it out we were there for about half-an-hour to an hour trying to clear all the smoke from the building."

Mr Graham said fortunately only one area of the electrical room sustained damage, which included melted plastic coating surrounding the lighting switches.

- Bay of Plenty Times

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

Have your say

1200 characters left

By and large our readers' comments are respectful and courteous. We're sure you'll fit in well.
View commenting guidelines.

© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf04 at 30 May 2017 23:52:10 Processing Time: 372ms