Power cut to hospital after electrical fire

Add a comment
Grace Hospital. PHOTO/FILE
Grace Hospital. PHOTO/FILE

Power to Tauranga's Grace Hospital had to be switched off for a number of hours this morning after a small fire broke out on the main cables leading to the hospital.

Tauranga fire senior station officer Mark Keller said the fire had produced smoke in the basement area and once put out, power had to be switched off to stop it reigniting.

Usually power would be turned off straight away but due to the possibility of patient reliance on power there was a delay until they could ensure there was no danger to patients.

The back-up generator also had to be switched off for the electrician to fix the short, he said.

"I imagine it caused a lot of stress for the hospital."

- Bay of Plenty Times

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

Have your say

1200 characters left

By and large our readers' comments are respectful and courteous. We're sure you'll fit in well.
View commenting guidelines.

© Copyright 2016, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf03 at 02 Oct 2016 03:47:54 Processing Time: 346ms