Bay of Plenty Times
  • Bay of Plenty Times home
  • Latest news
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Property
  • Sport
  • Video
  • Death notices
  • Classifieds

Subscriptions

  • Herald Premium
  • Viva Premium
  • The Listener
  • BusinessDesk

Sections

  • Latest news
  • On The Up
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Property
    • All Property
    • Residential property listings
  • Rural
    • All Rural
    • Dairy farming
    • Sheep & beef farming
    • Horticulture
    • Animal health
    • Rural business
    • Rural life
    • Rural technology
  • Sport

Locations

  • Coromandel & Hauraki
  • Katikati
  • Tauranga
  • Mount Maunganui
  • Pāpāmoa
  • Te Puke
  • Whakatāne
  • Rotorua

Media

  • Video
  • Photo galleries
  • Today's Paper - E-Editions
  • Photo sales
  • Classifieds

Weather

  • Thames
  • Tauranga
  • Whakatāne
  • Rotorua

NZME Network

  • Advertise with NZME
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • BusinessDesk
  • Newstalk ZB
  • Sunlive
  • ZM
  • The Hits
  • Coast
  • Radio Hauraki
  • The Alternative Commentary Collective
  • Gold
  • Flava
  • iHeart Radio
  • Hokonui
  • Radio Wanaka
  • iHeartCountry New Zealand
  • Restaurant Hub
  • NZME Events

SubscribeSign In

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / Bay of Plenty Times

Stabbing becomes homicide inquiry

Kiri Gillespie
Bay of Plenty Times·
3 Jan, 2013 06:51 PM2 mins to read

Subscribe to listen

Access to Herald Premium articles require a Premium subscription. Subscribe now to listen.
Already a subscriber?  

Listening to articles is free for open-access content—explore other articles or learn more about text-to-speech.
‌
Save
    Share this article

The police investigation into a New Year's Day stabbing at Waihi Beach is now a murder inquiry.

Keen fisherman Robert Murray Wilkinson died after being attacked outside the caravan he and his wife were staying in at a property on Beach Rd.

The 64-year-old suffered stab wounds to his neck and head after going outside about 12.30am to 1.30am on Tuesday to investigate a strange noise.

The ex-pat New Zealander, who was holidaying from Queensland, died at Waikato Hospital yesterday, surrounded by family.

His murderer remains at large and the murder weapon has not been found.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Detective Inspector Chris Page of the Waikato CIB said more than 30 police from Waikato, Counties Manukau, Auckland and the Bay of Plenty were now working on the investigation, dubbed Operation Brad.

"In addition to that, officers who had been engaged on the area canvas are now carrying out various area searches as we seek to identify and locate the object used to cause Mr Wilkinson's injuries," Mr Page said.

Last night, police again appealed to New Year's revellers in the area at the time of the attack to email them any photographs taken in the area that night.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

This was not necessarily to target the person whose picture was being taken but the strangers in the background or off to the sides of the shot.

If anyone had such photographs, they were asked to send them in, including the names of anyone who could be identified.

Mr Page also appealed to the offender and their friends to come forward.

"This matter is now a homicide investigation and can be resolved by the persons involved making contact with us or our team locating them. We ask that if you know who was involved or were involved you make contact with police."

To provide information call (07) 858 6200, or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111. Photographs can be sent to thames@police.govt.nz

Save
    Share this article

Latest from Bay of Plenty Times

Bay of Plenty Times

Man charged after alleged early-morning Mount landslide cordon breach

17 Feb 07:52 PM
Premium
Bay of Plenty Times

Police chief Tim Anderson on Mount landslide grief, leadership and his new job

17 Feb 05:00 PM
Bay of Plenty Times

Mount Maunganui man named after fatal Waikato crash

17 Feb 03:25 AM

Sponsored

Cyber crime in 2025: Increased specialisation, increased collaboration, increased risk

09 Feb 09:12 PM
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from Bay of Plenty Times

Man charged after alleged early-morning Mount landslide cordon breach
Bay of Plenty Times

Man charged after alleged early-morning Mount landslide cordon breach

Māori Wardens helped police locate the man at the unstable landslide site.

17 Feb 07:52 PM
Premium
Premium
Police chief Tim Anderson on Mount landslide grief, leadership and his new job
Bay of Plenty Times

Police chief Tim Anderson on Mount landslide grief, leadership and his new job

17 Feb 05:00 PM
Mount Maunganui man named after fatal Waikato crash
Bay of Plenty Times

Mount Maunganui man named after fatal Waikato crash

17 Feb 03:25 AM


Cyber crime in 2025: Increased specialisation, increased collaboration, increased risk
Sponsored

Cyber crime in 2025: Increased specialisation, increased collaboration, increased risk

09 Feb 09:12 PM
NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
  • Our use of AI
Subscriber Services
  • Bay of Plenty Times e-edition
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Subscribe to the Bay of Plenty Times
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
NZME Network
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Waikato Herald
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • NZME Digital Performance Marketing
  • Book your classified ad
  • Photo sales
  • NZME Events
  • © Copyright 2026 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP