Smoke alarm reveals kitchen fire

By Genevieve Helliwell


A smoke alarm prevented a fire from spreading out of control at a Gate Pa property last night.

Fire fighters were called to the Mason St home to put out the kitchen fire about 6.40pm.

A spokesperson from Greerton fire brigade said the home owner was alerted to the kitchen fire by a smoke alarm.

"She heard that go off then she did all the right things. She closed the door then rang us.''

"The fire was contained to the kitchen area but there was smoke damage to the rest of the house.''

The fire fighters said it appeared the fire started while the woman was cooking.

"I imagine she would have been shaken up but yes I as I understand she was ok.''

Three fire trucks attended the scene.

- BAY OF PLENTY TIMES

© Copyright 2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on red akl_a2 at 19 Apr 2014 03:46:21 Processing Time: 850ms