The Fitzherbert Ave extension and shared pathways along key city routes are the major projects which will benefit from $38.8m in NZ Transport Agency funding coming Whanganui's way.
Of that $31.9m which will contribute 61 per cent towards roading maintenance over the next three years.
And it will also get $6.9m for specific infrastructure projects under $1m designed to improve road safety on rural roads, around schools and at intersections.
These projects include the Wikitoria Rd culvert, the Mill Rd extension and traffic calming around the city.
Council chief executive Kym Fell welcomed the funding and acknowledged council staff for getting the funding approved.
"They have made a thorough and comprehensive application, including a high quality activity management plan and have been able to demonstrate Whanganui District Council's proven past performance in delivering to the agreed programme," he said.
"Our district benefits hugely from this boost from central government and I value the partnership and support we receive from NZTA."
The council is also expecting to get NZTA funding for some projects over $1m which are yet to be confirmed.
The funding is part of $647m announced for the Manawatu-Whanganui region in the National Land Transport Programme over the next three years.
"This record investment in our transport system will help grow our regions, make it easier to get around our cities, and save lives on our roads. It will deliver the best results for our transport dollar," Transport Minister Phil Twyford said.
"We are committed to reducing the number of Kiwis dying on our roads. In Manawatu-Whanganui, $136 million will be invested in safety programmes and improvements to help reduce the number and severity of crashes."
NZTA funded project for Whanganui:
* Rural safety improvements - Rapanui Rd/No 2 Line/No 3 Line ($120k)
* Safety improvements around schools ($30K)
* Intersection improvements ($285k)
* Wilson St safety improvements (200k)
* Rapanui Rd stock underpass/road widening ($40k)
* Whanganui River Rd guard rail safety improvements (120k)
* City-wide traffic calming ($160k)
* Victoria Ave/Ingestre St intersection traffic signal improvements ($150k)
* Victoria Ave/Dublin St intersection traffic signal improvements ($250K)
* Victoria Ave/Glasgow St intersection traffic signal improvements ($250k)
* Fitzherbert Ave extension ($975k)
* Tawhero shared pathway (London St to Alma Rd link) ($250k)
* Springvale shared pathway (Fitzherbert Ave extension to Puriri St link) ($245k)
* London St SH3 shared pathway (Gt North Rd to Fitzherbert Ave) ($515k)
* Whanganui East river shared pathway (Railway Bridge to Georgetti Rd) ($515k)
* London St shared pathway (Victoria Ave to Kaikokopu Rd) ($930k)
* Cycleway signage ($15k)
* Shared pathway lighting ($970k)
* Wikitoria Ave culvert replacement ($700k)
* Mill Rd extension ($203k)