Large rocks continue to fall down onto Gladstone Road, and the only protection for passing cars is a small block wall.

It seems there is still no solution in sight for slip-affected Gladstone Rd residents who are stranded after falling rocks blocked the road again on Monday night.

More than a year after the initial landslide, the unresolved issues on the road are beginning to take their toll on residents' financial and mental welbeing.

Council contractors were working to clear the debris on Tuesday.

Advertisement

The only alternative route is a dirt forestry track through steep terrain accessible only to four-wheel drive vehicles.

It appears the solution to this ongoing issue is still almost two years away.

Corey Riley, who lives on Makahika Rd, drove his wife over the rocks in their four-wheel drive at 6.30am on Tuesday.

"We almost hit the white barrier as the left front tyre rolled off a large rock," he said.

"Every time I drive under the landslide site I'm anxiously listening for the sound of falling rocks."

Mr Riley said that when his wife leaves in the morning they both find it stressful and worrying.

"My wife still texts me every morning at 6.45am so I know she has made it past all the dangerous areas," he said.

"Financially and mentally it's been a huge burden.We have even had to buy a gas guzzling four wheel drive solely for the purpose of getting out of Gladstone Road [over the alternative route]."

Horowhenua District Council roading compliance/CAR officer Mick Longley said Gladstone Road was closed overnight Monday for safety reasons due to some large rocks falling onto the road.

"Council informed affected residents and acted quickly to clear debris," he said.

"The road has now been reopened and a cleaning up operation is underway. Motorists are advised to use caution and follow the directions of traffic control at the site. Council will continue to monitor the site and further safety assessments will be carried out."

In January last year, the slip loosened 20 tonnes of debris and left a hole in the cliff face 27m wide and 50m high.

A geotechnical report and risk assessment was carried out by Stantec Engineering and submitted to Horowhenua District Council in September last year, which said the slip posed a very high threat.

In November last year an update was sent to affected residents from the council.

It said a feasibility study on options would take place in the 2018/19 financial year, and that the long-term solution of an alternative route would likely take up to two years, costing ratepayers between $2 million and $8 million.