Kelly Slater has confirmed he will retire from the World Surf League Championship Tour at the end of next season.

The 11-time world champion made the announcement last night during the Corona Jeffrey's Bay Open in South Africa.

"My plan is to get myself ready and healthy for next April and make next year my last year on tour and just be done with it" Slater said.

The 46-year-old missed the first five events on the 11-leg Championship Tour (CT) this season due to a foot injury, but made his return at the South African break on Monday. Unable to get a first-up win, Slater will fight for survival in the competition against South African Jordy Smith in round two on Tuesday.

Advertisement

Slater is currently ranked 36th in the CT. If he doesn't finish among the top 22 on the tour, he could be offered a wildcard to compete in 2019. Returning to the tour in 2019 gives Slater a chance to earn one of two spots to represent the USA at the Olympic Games in 2020.

Joel Parkinson has announced his retirement from the World Surf League Championship Tour. Photo / Getty Images
Joel Parkinson has announced his retirement from the World Surf League Championship Tour. Photo / Getty Images

A few hours before Slater's revelation, Australian Joel Parkinson announced he would be walking away from the CT at the end of the season.

"I have no more fire or want to win" the 37-year-old said.

Parkinson, who competed as part of Team Australia at the Founder's Cup earlier in the year, will surf his final heat as a full time member of the CT at the final event of the year - the Pipe Masters on Oahu's North Shore.

The 2012 world champion is the second Australian star to announce his retirement this season, after Mick Fanning left the tour earlier in the year.