Former Springbok wing Ashwin Willemse plans to take his claims of racism at South African pay TV channel SuperSport to the country's Equality Court.

This follows his walkout on live TV on May 19, accusing fellow presenters Naas Botha and Nick Mallett of patronising him.

The incident sparked a racial debate in South Africa.

Yesterday, SuperSport released the findings of an independent review into the matter in which it said no racism had been involved.

Advertisement

Read more:
Racism row escalates
Walkout exposes cracks in SA societyRugby save Willemse from mean streets

SuperSport CEO Gideon Khobane said Willemse had opted to not take part in the review.

It was reported in this morning's Cape Town newspaper Die Burger that despite Willemse's unwillingness to take part in the review, he had in a meeting with Khobane and Calvo Mawela, managing director of pay TV operator MultiChoice, said he did not think former Springbok great Botha and former Springbok coach Mallett were racists and that he was prepared to continue working with them.

The author of the independent report, Vincent Maleka, said he had no doubt about the authenticity of the conversation as both executives had told him of it.

However, Willemse subsequently changed his view and in subsequent meetings with management had said he did think racism was a factor.

The report quoted Mallett has saying he had preferred Willemse being moved so they did not have to work together.

"I think he talks garbage, we irritate the hell out of each other and the working environment is just unpleasant and tense."

Willemse's lawyer, Nqobizitha Mlilo, said a legal document was being being prepared to tender to the Equality Court. She said the SuperSport's report was a one-sided attempt at damage control.

Advertisement

The Equality Court was created in South Africa's new constitution in 1996 as a post-apartheid tool of eliminating unfair discrimination, infringements of the right to equality and hate speech.