In our opinion it's a very good time to be from or living in Rotorua. We have a real passion for this region and really feel, that at times, it's been given a bad rap for all the wrong reasons. Now that the media have stopped focusing on the negatives (every town/city in the world has some of these) the conversation about Rotorua has shifted to focus on what's great about living where we do. So, we thought we would take this opportunity to share why we love living in our little slice of paradise:
1) Geothermal wonders - sure this is more of a tourist focus and it's easy to take it for granted, but it's actually a real gift. The fact that on any given day we can take a walk and watch the earth bubble and blow off steam is something very few people on our planet can do so close to home.
2) Maori Cultural Heritage - again this is something that has become a commercialised, but that's for good reason. People find this fascinating and it's one of the few places in New Zealand we strongly celebrate Maori culture. We love the fact that it's actually part of our community and we're New Zealands only bilingual city. To hear people using Te Reo on a daily basis in our office and in the street is something very special.
3) The Bay Steamers - we haven't always had much to celebrate here, but as we write this our boys are getting ready to play the Wellington Lions in the final of the Mitre 10 Cup Championship. Such a great effort, come on boys bring it home!
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
4) It's beautiful -Rotorua is one of only a few cities in New Zealand built next to a lake. Not just one lake but 10 lakes (if you include the main ones). Each has its own unique beauty and favourite local hang out spots. While you're on or around the lakes you get to stare at the surrounding hills, volcanos and forests.
5) Whakarewarewa Forest -The Redwoods - this place is simply world class. Just taking a short walk and looking at the size of the trees is cool enough, but add a horse or mountain bike into the mix and you can add adventure to the beautiful scenery. Talk to any mountain biker in New Zealand (and many around the world) and they will tell you The Redwoods is a bucket list destination.
6) Improving economy - Rotorua's economy continues to go from strength to strength. After a decade of decline pre-2014, the population has passed 70,000 this year. We've also seen fast growing property prices, as our region becomes a popular destination for disillusioned big city dwellers. Add a positive outlook for our transport, forestry, education and tourism sectors and we have an exciting year ahead.
7) It's a great place for a family - All of the above makes Rotorua an awesome place to bring up our Kiwi kids. The outdoors, good rapidly education, a safe community, good sports facilities and cost effective living mean Rotorua still has that great Kiwi feel, that so many of us grew up with.
At Bayleys Rotorua, we're proud locals and we love where we live. We're proud to represent Rotorua amongst our network of 81 offices across New Zealand, excited about our regions future and that we get to be part of it.
If you want to get some friendly advice on your next property decision, or just want our thoughts on the local market, please give our team a call. Bayleys Rotorua (07) 349 3210.