The Rotorua community has rallied to help a Fordlands family whose house was gutted by fire.

Aroha Te Kani has nothing but a handful of trophies retrieved from what remains of her Wrigley Rd home. She had lived in the rental home with her two sons, aged 3 and 7, for around three years.

Yesterday, Facebook users rallied around the family with offers of donations from kitchenware through to linen.

Ms Te Kani said she was still in a state of shock but was equally stunned by the offers.


"I'm totally grateful for the support," she said.

"We've got nothing, but the main thing we have got our family and my boys are safe. We can replace clothes and furniture, but not our children."

The house caught fire about 8pm on Saturday and firefighters were at the property until 2.30am on Sunday dampening hot spots.

Rotorua fire brigade Senior Station Officer Jim Prescott said in the Rotorua Daily Post yesterday that the house was well alight by the time fire services arrived. It was believed to have been started by an unattended cooking appliance.

He said the key message for people who cooked at home was to "keep looking while you're cooking".

The family are currently staying with Ms Te Kani's sister, who lives next door.

Related articles:

If you want to donate to the Te Kani family, you can call Alison King on (07) 348 6199 ext 57052.